Hi! My name is Malou [Pronounced Mah - Loo]
I'm a half Bajan/half Dutchie island girl who was bitten by the travel bug at a very young age. I grew up in the Caribbean, studied in England, China & Holland and am now currently based in Barbados navigating life as a twentysomething.
About Skip to Malou
This blog started as a way for me to update close friends and family during my travels in 2010.
Skip to Malou has since developed into a personal lifestyle & travel blog; I talk about everything from sustainable travel, underwater exploration and local and international events to social issues and community development.
Travelling is one of my favourite hobbies, and luckily I have a partner who is just as excited to hop on a plane as I am, so my boyfriend J, family and friends all make regular appearances on here. I've visited over 40 countries so far and continue to tick off my lifelong bucket list, always looking for the next adventure.
When I'm not traveling, I'm exploring my own backyard and regularly talk about all of the fun things we get up to here in Barbados.
- All things social, in both the digital and the community and development sense of the word.
- Thinking globally, acting locally and that the Y Gen has a responsibility to make this world a better place. One Young World blew my mind in 2012 and since then I've been involved in a number of social and community initiatives.
- Youth development in the Caribbean, especially volunteering and harnessing new media to bring about positive change. I'm a Global Shaper with the Global Shapers Bridgetown Hub and we work on projects that tackle various issues in our island.
I'm an entrepreneur and love bringing ideas to life, so I tend to say 'yes' to too many things in an attempt to keep life interesting:
- I am digital strategist and media consultant. I run a social media marketing company called Meraki Media. We do fun stuff like digital strategy, content creation and other techy things for businesses in Barbados and the greater Toronto area.
- In 2013, I co-founded Island Sitters, a recruitment agency based in Barbados specialising in babysitters, nannies, pet sitters, house sitters, tutors and house keepers.
- I am in the process of developing a volunteer platform for the Caribbean, with a focus on enabling people to create a positive impact in the region.
You can connect with me on LinkedIn if you want to find out more about what I do.
Work with me
If travel, photography, social causes and people are your thing, then I think we'd get along. If you're interested in collaborating with me, or just saying hi and asking me questions about any of the above, please feel free to shoot me an email: maloumorgan [at] gmail [dot] com.
I control 100% all of the content on this blog and all opinions are my own.
All photographs and material are owned by Skip to Malou unless otherwise noted. You may use my photos on the internet if you contact me first and then link back to my blog.